Saturday afternoons

I've had this moment in time after a very long time. The moment that I 'm talking about is this sense of calm and peace. Being alone at home and at peace on a Saturday afternoon without having any place to go or anybody to meet or anything to do is an interesting feeling. Today it is that of calm, of feeling rested.

The week before saw a Saturday lost in traveling and meeting long lost people. I met Archi after not a very long time. and then there was Rashmi...she looked exactly the same. It was unbelievable to see her primarily because meeting her reminded me of the time when we were still young at heart and so fresh and so blase right after our independence trip. The play that followed was another jewel. It was a very powerful play, and like I have always believed Hindi plays and poetry seem to have such a moving impact. And I would think the same of French ones...

This Saturday afternoon is typical. There is music to be discovered. As Manu Chao sings, I'm taken back again to those wonderful days in France. The days gone by seem to have that wonderful freshly washed hue that one reads about in books. The memories are sparked by a particluar song or a sound.

Remember the Notre Dame de Paris and the fondue and the red wine. Those long evenings that began sometime in the afternoon and went on till the wee hours of the morning. Michel showing us the pictures of his visit to India. The elephants, the Taj, the boat rides and the carefully preserved DTC bus ticket. And then the music that filled in the days...there was Tiamo, and Francis Cabrel, and Patrick Bruel and other names that I forget but the tunes stay in my mind.

Saturday afternoons are the best time to be yourself and by yourself. And of course there are Summer Saturdays, Rainy Saturdays, Winter Saturdays, lonely saturdays, wicked ones and sad ones. The one today is my favorite type - long, quiet, unrushed, and musical - spanish, french, italian...n'importe quoi mais toute douce qui touche le coeur et qui me fait reposer.

Let me go and discover some more music and lose myself there.

Comments

Unknown said…
Right about that saturday afternoon, the last one in India for me after a three weeks vacation. Meeting with old friends and then the play...It really was something and I keep a very soft memory of it in my mind. There have been no more like that one since...I read all the posts and it was a pleasure. You continue and I will also continue...to read.

Popular posts from this blog

More on Mumbai 26/11 - Heroes of the Taj: Michael Pollock

Inspired by the Susan Boyle phenomena

I don't know yet...