Some words and thoughts by others

It has been quite a while since I posted anything. So, I thought that I will post some quotations that I have saved up. These are from a collection that I started when I was in Genpact. I used to send out 'Quote for the week' kind of stuff. Then, Priya also shared some lovely short poems and all of it went into my collection. I really like quotations. Actually, if I think about it, quotations have been a part of my journey so far since school days, I guess. Meenakshi and I would always fall for birthday cards which had either funny one-liners or long poems with beautiful words. And then we would go on to add quotations to the card...write inside the card, over the envelope, even on the flap. I had gotten this beautiful cloth-bound diary for my birthday when i was in school and i promptly made it my quotations books. I have it till date!! It has been close to 15 years now...i would think. Nani and I also used to write down quotes into a diary. She was the one who got me started on books and reading and even English movies. She got me going on poetry and Ghalib and Mir and Shakespeare. We also used to have a song book, na? Aditi is another person who has shared some of the most wonderful quotations with me. She even gave me this calendar with quotes on it for each day of the month. I got another one from Anu recently. Even at this office, Anu and I, would wait for Jyoti to change the date on her calendar so that we could read the quotes. Even when I was in France, Maria and I would go all weak-kneed on hearing and reading beautiful words. We had picture post-cards and cards with quotations on our walls. I still remember how beautiful Coelho had sounded in French.

One of the most 'quotable' author is Antoine de Saint-Exupery with his book - The Little Prince. Thene there is Mark Twain, G B Shaw, PG Wodehouse, Paulo Coelho, Ghalib ...

Ok, I've given enough background on why I like quotations. Here are some that I adore. They are for different moods and occasions but they say so much. Let the real writers come up now:

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." - Anais Nin

"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light, I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams

"I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about." - Oscar Wilde

"There is nothing so annoying as to have two people talking when you're busy interrupting." - Mark Twain

"For those of us who can dream, there is no such place called faraway." - Richard Bach

There are so many that i could go on and on but i won't. Words are so powerful. I wonder where that power goes once the word is said...it is energy that is released and then what becomes of it...

Comments

Arun Lakshmanan said…
Nice quotes, u know how much I liked the little prince - a rare book.

Hey, had not been getting your mails on new blogs. So, i thought i will sneak in and check your blog - and there u were - seceretely writing great stuff. Hee Hee - Keep it up.

Popular posts from this blog

More on Mumbai 26/11 - Heroes of the Taj: Michael Pollock

Inspired by the Susan Boyle phenomena

I don't know yet...